Practical Tips to live out chastity
When we are striving to live out chastity in the modern secular world, it can be quite challenging, so here are 5 practical tips to help you live out chastity.
- Pray – it may seem like the obvious one, but it is one that can be overlooked. God gives us the grace to live out chastity when we trust everything to Him. It is very difficult to live out a pure and chaste life without living a sacramental life. If you are between the ages of 18-35 years old and based in Dublin, you are very welcome to attend the Pure in Heart weekly prayer meeting every Thursday which starts with rosary at 7 pm, confessions, mass, adoration, a short talk based on our charism of purity and chastity and fellowship over a cup of tea.
- Surround yourself with good friends – we all need support from our family and friends. If we are training on a football team, we need the support of our team to help us achieve our goals. The same is with living out chastity. We all need the support of friends who will bring out the best in us, and genuinely want us to be a better person.
- Avoid temptation – do not put yourself into situations where you will be tempted. For instance, sexting, watching impure movies, pornography, going to certain parties, etc. It is best to avoid such situations. The journey to living chastity is about making choices that will allow you to live in freedom, not be enslaved to temptation. It’s important to know our limits.
- Know your values – know why you want to live out chastity, read about it and pray about it. Chastity is a choice at the end of the day and a virtue, and virtues need time to develop.
- Don’t settle – if you are called to the vocation of marriage, know the qualities and virtues you want in a future husband or wife. You deserve God’s best. Set your standards high and know exactly what you are looking for
‘Only the chaste man and chaste woman are capable of real love’
- St Pope John Paul II