It goes without saying that dating in today’s world can be frustrating. It’s difficult to find someone who shares your faith and your values. Online dating is the most popular way for couples to meet today. If you are trying online dating or thinking about it, then this post is for you. Thankfully there are thousands of Catholic couples who have found their spouses online, so if your head is spinning from looking at profiles and sending messages, I hope this article will be a source of hope and encouragement for you.
Advice for single Catholic men and women who are just starting on their online dating journey?
- Wait on God’s timing – you might be on a Catholic dating website for a few weeks, months, or years and haven’t found the one. Do not lose hope. It can be tempting to give up after not receiving as many messages as you’d hoped after creating an online dating profile. But be patient and trust in God’s timing when it comes to your online dating journey.
- Be honest – Most Catholic dating websites ask a lot of questions to help you fill out your profile. Don’t skip on this. It takes vulnerability and courage, to be honest about what you’re looking for in a relationship once you start talking to someone you meet online. But being truthful about your desires and dreams is an important part of a healthy relationship.
- Keep God first – Pray that God guides you in all your conversations. Spend time in adoration to make sure you are desiring Christ first before any relationship. Live a sacramental life and grow closer to God each day through prayer and the sacraments.
- Read their online dating profile closely – If you find someone you’re interested in online, don’t stop with just a look at the profile picture and a quick skim of their profile. Instead, read the whole online profile and find out what their interests and hobbies are, what is important to them etc. This will help with conversation and messaging.
- Share aspects of your own faith life with them – Just as asking someone else about their faith life can lead to deeper conversation, you can ask them questions about why their faith is important to them and share about your own faith. Perhaps share your favourite spiritual books or devotions with each other, this is a great way to get to know the other person.
- Pray and adopt a patron saint for your online dating journey – Pray to St Raphael to guide you always. Saint Josemaria used to advise people “to go to the protection of Saint Raphael: so that he’ll lead you, like young Tobias, to a holy marriage” (The Way, 360).
Catholic dating websites offer you a chance to meet people you wouldn’t otherwise meet. There are so many dating websites out there, but choosing a good reputable Catholic website can help connect you with people of similar faith and values.